The IV C files #2 – Intravenous Vitamin C treatment – the first week

The clinic I was receiving the intravenous vitamin C treatment had a regime of 18 sessions delivered over three weeks.   This would be followed by twice-weekly follow-up sessions for three months.

When I asked why three weeks and then three months, I was told that this replicated the protocol used by the alternative cancer treatment hopsital, the Oasis of Hope in Mexico.

I would also be having daily sessions of hyperthermia and ozone therapy.

Because I was having sessions everyday but Sunday, I decided to stay on-site.  It was a good decision because commuting by train to the clinic and back would have been exhausting.  Staying on-site also gave me a chance to focus on healing and relaxing.

The preparations to the treatment was a mass of packing.  I bought things that I would end up not using (like too many clothes, but then, I’m a woman!).  I also bought a rebounder (a mini trampoline) which I was determined to use because I’d read that rebounding was good for activating the lymph system and moving the toxins out of the body.  In the end, the most usual items of clothing were my dressing gown and my bedroom slippers.

The one thing that I was a bit remiss in packing was food.  The residence had a fully-equipped kitchen but I’d forgotten most of my usual kitchen aids like olive oil, sauces, salt and pepper etc so faced three weeks of bland food.  Fortunately, there was someone else also staying on site who had the foresight to bring all that.

The first week passed in a blur of treatments.  People ask me what I did all day, and I can assure you, that I was busy trying to get used to the routine of treatments and trying to rest.

This is what a typical “day in the life of” for the first week was like:


— 6.30am – Wake up at least 2.5 hours before hyperthermia and ozone session to juice vegetables.  Raw vegetable juice is a powerful antioxidant which would conflict with the ozone so a two-hour gap had to be left in between.  It takes approx. 20 mins to juice and clean the juicer, longer if you’re half asleep.

— Take supplements.

— Stumble back to bed or pretend to watch exercise videos or use rebounder.

— Breakfast –  something that isn’t raw which would interfere with the ozone.  In the first week all I ate was brown rice and salmon and seaweed.  I’ve since gone off brown rice and salmon.

— 9.00am – Try to stay awake for hyperthermia session at 130 degrees F and ozone therapy for 45mins, followed by really freezing shower to wake up immune system.


— 10.00am – Break of 2 hours to allow ozone to dissipate before intravenous vitamin C therapy – ozone is an oxidant which would conflict with vitamin C.

[Rush off to only health food shop in town to shop for food for anti-cancer diet.  Most of that first week was spent trying to work out what I could and couldn’t eat]


— Grab quick lunch before intravenous vitamin C session because high concentrations of vitamin C can cause light-headedness or induce headaches if the stomach is empty.  Sometimes this meant more brown rice and salmon because I was still on my anti-meat diet.

— Take more supplements.

— Quickly scoff banana from secret cache before session.

— 12.00pm – Intravenous vitamin C session lasting from 2 to 3 hours depending on dosage.  This as incremental, starting from 10g building up to 75g to get the body used to the high levels of vitamin C just in case there was a negative reaction.

If you think of a Redoxon tablet, that’s about 1g, so imagine taking 75 Redoxon tablets (each of which contains 1,000 mg) – that’s 75,000mg per sesion.  I’d already had 4 sessions previously and was on 65 g.

Why 2- to 3 hours?  The intravenous vitamin C has to be infused at a certain rate to ensure that the optimum concentration of vitamin c was present in the blood to become a pro-oxidant.  On a lower dose there is less fluid to infuse and the session wouldn’t take as long.


— Intravenous vitamin C had a tendency to dehydrate me and also made me feel sleepy and tired on the higher doses.  That’s my excuse anyway.  So I would sometimes have a lie-down after the session and listen to some relaxation tapes.

— Try to find something to eat that isn’t the same boring stuff I had for lunch.  Read books on cancer and healing.  Try to relax and not panic about the cancer, and whether the treatment is working, and whether or not I’m doing the right thing.  Try not to be neurotic.

— Take even more supplements

— Go to bed.

Repeat for 3 weeks.