A summary of the latest medical developments in breast cancer, culled from Google Alerts, for the week ending Friday 10 January 2014.
I realise that some of the developments I’m posting have been published earlier in 2013 which means they’re not exactly new or germane to 2014; however, they have just recently been released by some news-sites in Google Alerts, so I have chosen to include them.
I’m conscious that Best of Breast is beginning to resemble a sci-fic novel with a formulaic plot and one-dimensional characters:
- there’s always the mwah-ha-ha VILLAIN (one, if not more) like a MUTANT gene (with unpronounceable acronym) that causes cancer,
- the HERO (new drug or improvement in treatments or group of scientists that promise to curb cancer),
- the WAR – sadly, it’s still classed as a “war against cancer” with victors and losers,
- the VICTIMS (the long-suffering and heroic cancer patients who are waiting patiently for a cure that doesn’t involve the death rays of radiotherapy and chemotherapy),
- the WEAPONS (immunotherapies, vaccines, targeted treatments, magic bullet cures, death rays, chemical warfare)
- DEATH (like in Terry Pratchett novels) who lurks too close for comfort. (Also has bit part as RECURRENCE),
- the REVELATION/MOUSE CONSPIRACY (new drug only works on mice/rats, or is in a trial and will take years before it’s available for commercial use).
- All that’s missing is a really good save-the-world ending – some ALIEN species or OBI-WAN character descending down on earth with the Cure for Cancer … .
So Roll-On 2014, and please bring me the cure for cancer!