The Haven breast cancer charity in London are holding another of their popular seminars, Working it out, on Cancer and Employment Law on Monday 31 March 2014. It is free-of-charge.
This is a must-attend for anyone with cancer wants to know what their employment rights are.
I went to last year’s seminar and it was a real eye-opener.
For example, did you know that:
- in the UK, cancer is classed as a disability and all cancer patients have the same rights as disabled people?
- that your employer is not allowed to sack you for cancer-related reasons (e.g. that you have cancer, that you have to take time off for cancer-related treatments, for your sickness record for cancer)
- that even if you are in remission, you are still considered to have cancer, and still entitled to the same rights?
- that if your employer infringes any of the rights, and you can prove it, you can sue them for UNLIMITED liability? [employers – please sit up and read this and treat your employees fairly]
- that if you’re a partner/carer of someone who has cancer, you are also entitled to certain rights to care for them?